Saying things that you are doing in Ilonggo or Hiligaynon

 


Put a “MA” on the front of verbs to indicate future tense
Put a “GA” on the front of verbs to indicate present tense
Put a “NAG” on the front of verbs to indicate past tense

Knowing these prefixes you can actually use a lot of English verbs. For example, the other day at the shopping centre a lady asked me:
“Ano oras mastart ang film?” (What time will the film start?)

Note: There are three Bob’s Cafés in Bacolod, none of which are part of a chain. Caroline and I spend a lot of time there, hence all the references to going there and eating there.

VERB: Lakat (to walk, to go)
Eg. Malakat ko sa Bob’s – I will go to Bob’s
Malakat kita – We will go
Galakat ko pakadto sa Bob’s – I am currently walking to Bob’s

VERB: Kadto (to go)
Eg. Nagkadto ko sa Bob’s – I went to Bob’s

VERB: Kaon (to eat)
Eg. Makaon ko panyaga – I will eat lunch
Gakaon ko sa Bob’s – I am eating at Bob’s
Tapos na ko kaon – I had finished eating

VERB: Tulog (to sleep)
Eg. Matulog ko karon – I will sleep later

VERB: Gusto (to like)
Eg. Gusto ko ina – I would like that

VERB: Kuha (to get)
Eg. Makuha ko sina/sini – I will get that/this one

VERB: Hatagan (to give)
Eg. Hatagan ta ka kape/ hatagan ko ikaw kape – I will give you coffee

VERB: Pauli/puli (to go home)
Eg. Mapauli na ‘ko – I will go home

VERB: Mabakal (to buy)
Eg. Indi sia mabakal, ka intiyende sia sang Ilonggo (my counterpart said this to someone who was talking about me in Ilonggo who thought I couldn’t understand. Means “she can’t be bought, she understands Ilonggo”. Different from “indi mabaligya sia” which means “the girl is not for sale”, a term often used by pimps.)

VERB: Himuon (to do)
Eg. Wala ko himuon – I have nothing to do.

Dalagan – to run
Lumpat – to jump
Saot – to dance
Pungko – to sit
Higda – to lie down
Bangon – to rise
Inom – to drink
Hambal – to say
Paghimos – to put things in order
Bulig – to help (buligan – helping)
Kabalo – to know
Pulot – to pick
Balik – to go back

Comments

Popular Posts